May 22, 2010

"Exercice, Lucien!"

Listening: Ben Harper

   It's a half-heartedly warm, decidedly muggy Saturday in Brooklyn.  The streets would be far more abuzz were it not for the shooting this past Wednesday, the tension from which is still palpable. 
   I'm taking a break from my drum practice on my day off, which feels very good so far.  Laundry done, business calls completed, nothing to do but hone the Craft.  This is my newest practice system, if anybody is curious:

  
  Not a bad little setup.  As you can see, I rested my practice pad in the middle of my snare stand and adjust the hight for comfort.  I used to have a neighbor who would practice his putting by aiming for a dime so that when he actually played, the hole looked enormous.  This underscores my belief that the lessons learned from any one skill are transferrable to every other skill, with appropriate jargon replace, of course.
   I digress.  I figure I can aim for the tips of the rubber braces with my sticks as if they were each hi-hat, crash, and ride cymbal.  Hopefully that will lead to increased accuracy with my cymbals, if I can't actually have them for practice, that is.

   I suppose I will have to invest in a practice set to be able to get the muscle memory for tunes I need to practice.  Plopping down in front of a practice pad and tapping away with my head down (thought I try to always remember to "keep your head up!"  In the voice of Tom Robinson) does not seem the most effective way to practice something so based in repetition.  Speaking of repetition, I think it's about time I get back to practice

No comments:

Post a Comment