August 20, 2010

In my country, psychoactive introspection drugs will be required at age 23

Growing up, I had it easy.  I figure if I lived as part of the upper 10% for the formative years of my life and I still  feel screwed up, I don't know how anybody makes it through this life in one piece.  I guess some don't.

Why is recognizing our collective fucked-upness such a difficult task?  Why do we allow advertisements and television shows to fool us into believing what constitutes normalcy - a perpetually bright life surrounded by toys and friends who look exactly like us?  It's obvious from our own perspectives there is very little normalcy - we have our individual collections of neurosis and should extrapolate that every single other person with whom we come into contact is just as crazy and/or unhappy as we are.

Shouldn't we recognize this image of a chemically-induced happiness as bullshit, that dissatisfaction it is a universal human experience?  Could we recognize that most of us have been duped by our parents, government, or peers into believing everyone else is normal and we're the crazy ones?  If we threw out the myth of relative happiness, could we all see each other as brothers and sisters trying to do the best we can with the cards we were dealt?  As if any of us had a choice in being born the way we were.

Given the choice, I would probably would have chosen to remain stardust.

No comments:

Post a Comment