January 7, 2011

Patience is Everything!

"I learn it daily, learn it with pain to which I am grateful: patience is everything!” - Rainer Rilke


   I'm not sure what instilled in me an abundant respect for the value of patience, but somewhere between the "millions of years" talk of science, and the evidence of slow, inexorable processes that give rise to the wonders of our world, I have to to believe that almost anything is possible with patience.  


   Armed with a grasp (and acceptance of) musical theory as well as Alfred's "Teach yourself Chords and Progressions":

   I am in the market for a cheapie keyboard to begin the piano-playing portion of my musical life - I'm lookin' at you, craigslist.  While I respect the value of patience for self-teaching, I know learning is much more efficient with a guide, so I am also in the market for a piano player willing to trade piano lessons for drum lessons.

   In the drum world, I've been working up speed, strength, and endurance by practicing on a pillow along to an aforementioned mix of thirty-six songs I have learned to play since I started drums and which best represent the upper boundaries of my skills.  I started working on feet paradiddles, playing RLRR LRLL on my feet with assorted hand rhythms on top of that.  I love finding something new to tackle, that I can slowly whittle away at until it fits in my pocket and I can pull it out when the inspiration demands.

   Also brimming with patient energy and self-taught passion is my Candice Chetta, who recently finished the seventh and last in a series of Chakra paintings.  For a person who never went to an art class, I am more proud than I can describe of my pretty lady.  Amazing samples of the series:
Sing Out

   Also seen at her blog are some great photos of last week's Blizzageddon from our apartment window.  Three feet of snow never looked so good!

   More to come, stay posted!


No comments:

Post a Comment